Our Phoenix Trip

We left home Sunday, November 9th to fly to Phoenix.  My visiting teacher volunteered to take us to the airport.  She will pick us up too.  She is very kind.  We were able to get in line to board as soon as we got there.  As we went thro’ security, Dad headed for the escalators.  While I was thinking, “I tho’t he said he wasn’t going to take the   escalator again wondering if he would carry the suitcase up the stairs, he fell.  At least he was only on the second step.  He said it was the suitcase that didn’t follow and pulled him back as the moving steps took his feet up thus causing  him to fall.  Someone immediately stopped the escalator.  I heard his head hit the floor, I didn’t actually see him fall because I was looking at my suitcase trying to get it situated so I could get on.  Two people were there to help him up.  It took  a  few minutes because he was in a very awkward position.  They asked if they needed to call the paramedics.   He said no, altho’ he ached, he wasn’t hurt bad enough for the paramedics to come.  A young woman showed us where the elevator was (we didn’t even know IF airport had an elevator) and rode upstairs with us.   She escorted us to a seat and told us she would pre-board us right after she put the people on in wheelchairs.  A man came to fill out an incident report. Dad didn’t even have a bump on his head, but he has been sore the last few days.  I encouraged him to take some ibuprofen both before going to bed and the next morning.  I think that helped.  He went out side and dug weeds in their back yard Monday morning so he could move around pretty well  once he was up.   It did hurt when he tried to turn in bed the first couple of nights.

A woman named Janine was there with Blue Super Shuttle to drive us from Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport to Richard & Téa’s home.  She told us she is 55.  She was delightful to talk to and a very good driver.

It was sooo good to see everyone.  It had been 14 months since we had seen them.  I think Ephraim has grown the most altho’ all of them are taller.  Richard was just finishing up cooking a ham dinner.  It was delicious.   It was sooo good to see everyone.  Richard has been able to take off work except for Thursday because he had to appear in court that day but he was gone only about four hours.

The rest of Monday, we just enjoyed sitting and visiting until the children got home from school.  It was so nice to not have any interruptions and nothing we had to do.  Tuesday, neither Richard had to go to work nor the children to school.  So we all rode into Phoenix and visited the Hall of Flame, the firefighters museum.  It was very interesting.  They had on display the first fire engines that were first pulled by men then eventually horses.  They had fancy ones used just for show and practical ones that held a lot of water, etc.  In another part of the building they had motorized fire engines.  The only two things that I was aware of that would be in there for sure was 9/11 and the Varnell, AZ fire where 19 of 20 hotshot fire jumpers were killed in a wild fire in June of 2013.  They had a very nice memorial with a painted pony with a saddle with boots in backwards. (I understand that symbolizes a fallen rider.)  They also had pictures of all of the firemen and policemen who were killed that day.   For the Varnell fire they had pictures of all of the 19 and said that that fire is still under investigation and they would keep that site updated as to what they found out.  Afterwards, we went to China Chili to eat Chinese food.  It was sooo good.  We had house chicken, teriyaki chicken, walnut glazed prawns, plain rice and fried rice plus corn chowder and pillow tofu which was surprisingly good to us who haven’t experienced tofu hardly at all.   It was all so very pleasant and nice.  We got home fairly late.

Wednesday evening is mutual here.  Emma and Elena had a practice for the Cultural Event Celebration this Duncan and Cheanna are assistants to the people who need to help with the organizing etc. So they aren’t actually dancing in it.  They will be there, just not dance.  We will be able to watch it on TV.  At first we  didn’t think we would be able to see it because only the visiting dignitaries will be able to view in person.   But they are having it onTV and also showing it in the Stake Centers, which they said at first they wouldn’t do.

Thursday, we are invited over to Téa’s mom’s for supper tonight.  She is doing a turkey dinner so we can have “Thanksgiving dinner” together while we are here.  There is one house between the Robinson house and the Rydalch house.  More about that later.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you are human * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.